Sunday, November 8, 2009

Green Pork Masala Korma

For Sunday's dinner, I decided to do something with an inexpensive pork roast.  I picked up a large Boston Butt, and as I wandered the aisles of my favorite grocery store, I started to think about an Indian dish I had made with cilantro, mint, and jalapeno.  That sounded good, so I grabbed those items, plus a couple cans of coconut milk.

On Sunday, I cubed the pork fairly large (2" cubes) and browned it in several batches.  Meanwhile, I took the mint, cilantro, 4 garlic cloves, a jalapeno, the juice from one lemon, and pureed that in my food processor.  After the meat was browned, I fried my spices:  Garam Masala, cardomom, cinnamon, and some Vindaloo powder.  Next came the pureed cilantro and mint mixture, and I sauteed that for a while.  I threw in the meat and the coconut milk, and then decided that a some nutty flavor would also be nice.  I washed the food processor, and then put in about a cup of cashews and a cup of plain yogurt.  I processed that, and threw it in the pot.

I let the pork simmer for a couple of hours, and made some Naan to go with the dinner.  I used a bit more yogurt than the recipe calls for, because I like the flavor of the Naan with the extra yogurt.  The dough was nice and soft, and rose nicely.  I changed tactics with my Naan this time, though, by deciding to cook it on a pre-heated stone (500F for 30 minutes) instead of on a buttered cookie sheet.  I also rolled it out a bit thinner than I normally do.

The pork masala korma was very nice...although I was hoping that the pork would have been a bit more tender than it was.  Maybe another hour would have made it spoon tender.  The naan turned out very nice, with a bit of crispiness that is normally not there.  The cashew/yogurt mixture gave it a nice nutty flavor that went well with the mint/cilantro/jalapeno puree. 

1 comment: