Friday, October 9, 2009

This Weekend's Challenge...

So, this weekend brings a new challenge...instead of going to the store and buying all sorts of awesome ingredients to play with, I get to use just what we have on hand (within reason, of course...we needed some meat and a few staples). So, it's time to peer into the pantry and figure out what the heck I'm gonna do.

Tonight will be an easy layup. I have shredded mozzarella and tomato sauce left over from last weekend, so tonight I'm making homemade calzones, with my crust rising as we speak. Not sure about Saturday and Sunday, but I did notice we have a lot of canned beans...pintos and black beans, so I'll likely be doing something with those. We have plenty of pasta and rice, and some potatoes as well, so lots of stuff to play around with. Susan got the cheapest meat she could find, so I'll be working with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, and a small pork picnic roast (at $2.49 a pound, no less!). So, we'll eat good, save some money, and clean out the pantry, all in one weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to tell you, George, how much I enjoy your site. I love how adventurous you are, trying new stuff with different ingredients. I really enjoy your tips, too --- the "saute pieces of meat in small batches not touching each other" advice is awesome! No more meat swimming in grey liquid! Keep the pictures coming, too; they're beautiful! Keep on cooking, George!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sue!! I'll be working on another "tips" essay soon.

    ReplyDelete